Fabio Paolo Barbieri (fpb) wrote,
Fabio Paolo Barbieri
fpb

Lucio Dalla - L'anno che verra' (the year to come)


Text and translation behind the cut.
Caro amico ti scrivo così mi distraggo un po'
e siccome sei molto lontano più forte ti scriverò.
Da quando sei partito c'è una grossa novità,
l'anno vecchio è finito ormai
ma qualcosa ancora qui non va.
My dear friend, I am writing to you, and that will get my mind off things,
And since you are very far away, I'll write it a bit louder.
Since you have left, there's a big piece of news:
The old year is done - but a few things here still are wrong.


Si esce poco la sera compreso quando è festa
e c'è chi ha messo dei sacchi di sabbia vicino alla finestra,
e si sta senza parlare per intere settimane,
e a quelli che hanno niente da dire, del tempo ne rimane.
People don't go out much in the evenings, not even on holidays,
And someone has placed some sandbags right up near his windows.
And we may happen to say nothing for whole weeks at a time,
And those with nothing to say, well, they have plenty of time.


Ma la televisione ha detto che il nuovo anno
porterà una trasformazione, e tutti quanti stiamo già aspettando
sarà tre volte Natale e festa tutto il giorno,
ogni Cristo scenderà dalla croce, anche gli uccelli faranno ritorno.
But the TV channels have told us that this new year
Will bring along a real transformation, everyone is waiting already.
We'll have three Christmases a year, and party all day long;
Every Christ will step down from his cross, and even the birds will be coming back.


Ci sarà da mangiare e luce tutto l'anno,
anche i muti potranno parlare mentre i sordi già lo fanno.
E si farà l'amore ognuno come gli va,
anche i preti potranno sposarsi ma soltanto a una certa età,
e, senza grandi disturbi, qualcuno sparirà,
saranno forse i troppo furbi e i cretini di ogni età.
There will be food and light all the year round,
Even the dumb will be able to speak, while the deaf, they already do.
And people will make love, each one as they damn well please,
Even priests will be allowed to marry - but only at a certain age;
And without noise or trouble, a few people will fade away -
It may be that it will be those too clever, or the dimwits of all ages.


Vedi caro amico cosa ti scrivo e ti dico
e come sono contento
di essere qui in questo momento,
vedi, vedi, vedi, vedi,
vedi caro amico cosa si deve inventare
per poterci ridere sopra,
per continuare a sperare.
So you see, dear friend, what I am writing to tell you,
And how glad I am
To be here at a time like this,
You see, you see, you see, dear friend
The things we've got to make up,
To keep laughing at it,
To go on hoping


E se quest'anno poi passasse in un istante,
vedi amico mio
come diventa importante
che in questo istante ci sia anch'io.
And if this year now were to pass by in a second,
You do see, dear friend,
How important it becomes
For me to be here too in that second!


L'anno che sta arrivando tra un anno passerà
io mi sto preparando è questa la novità,
The year that is coming will be gone in a year.
I am getting ready for it - and that is the big news.
Subscribe

  • Against the two-party system

    Democracy means rule of the majority. No system in which 36% of voters get to kick around the remaining 64% has any claim to be called democratic.…

  • Demeaning crimes

    An American broadcaster called Bill Maher has seen fit to mark the passing of Stan Lee with negative and mean-minded comments. It is a law of nature…

  • (no subject)

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 0 comments